This week you will have an opportunity to examine some Primary Source documents which describe the life of a slave and the Middle Passage. First though we will view a clip of the Middle Passage from the movie Armistad. The clip can be seen below.
Use the links below to download and print the Constructive response questions & the Primary Sources
From the American news magazine Harper’s Weekly. It shows slaves from the ship “Wildfire”. Slave men are on the lower deck and women on the upper deck.
The following video is also very helpful in understanding the Atlantic Slave Trade & The Middle Passage.
Finally next week you will also be given an essay test. You will be given 2 questions to answer with the option of choosing one of the questions.
Choose one of the following(at least 3-4 complete paragraphs):
- Explain the Triangular Trade & the Middle Passage.
- What were the factors & technology that led to the Age of Exploration. Explain
- What was the Columbian Exchange. Explain its impact good & bad on Europe/Africa/Asia & on the Americas.
- Explain the development of slavery in the Americas. Explain how Africans became slaves, the conditions they faced, the ways they resisted slavery & the effects of slavery on Africa, Europe, and the Americas.
- Explain the Scientific Revolution along with the Scientific Method. Explain how specific scientists applied the scientific method and how it impacts us today.
Then you will complete another essay on the following question. Explain mercantilism & the economics of the new colonies & the mother country using the chart, cartoon, and painting. All three are below.
Use the 2 charts, the cartoon and the painting to write at least 3 paragraphs. Cite examples from the pictures above in your essay. The picture below may also help.